Clematis Vine

Last month I bought two Jackman Clematis vines in 2 gallon containers. One is doing fine, but the other, planted four feet away, has lost two of the three main stems the plant had when I bought it. I've never had vines before, so before I panic and replace the troublesome vine, I need to know whether all future growth will come from that one stem only, or will additional stems start growing from the root ball? If you want, you can e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Thanks!
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 13:13:57 -0500, Your Name Here

Clematis takes its time to establish itself, maybe 2 or 3 years. In the meantime, keep the surface mulched with compost. Do not prune. They appreciate some kind of trellis for support.

Thanks, I set one out under a trellis about a month ago and noticed it has grow about 2 inches. I was expecting more, but I can wait.
Regards,
Hal
Thanks for the info, but I guess my primary question was not answered. Will more stems eventually grow out of the root ball or will all future growth spring from the only stem remaining on this plant? Remember, I have no experience with this or any other type of vine.
says...

it should grow more stems from the root ball each year. you might want to baby it a bit this summer, keeping it watered & mulched so it doesn't dry out & get further stressed. i've bought some pretty sad looking close-out clematis & had them survive. it may take it a few years to recover & catch up with the other one though. lee
Do keep its root system as cool and shaded as possible......