Clematis Dying

Hi

I bought a clematis a couple of months ago and planted it against a wall in my garden. Since then it appears to be dying. I have watered it lots, but the leaves have curled in, gone crisp with black marks on the edges and the middle.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Reply to
Lyra123

In no particular order:

a) over watering -- clematis needs well-drained soil, that stays moist but doesn't soak the roots.

b) incorrect acidity and/or fertiliser: I've read conflicting advice, some sources say clematis wants acid, others say basic soil. Whatever you've got, try the opposite. NB that tap water often has too much chlorine in it, which may also be a factor. Fill your watering can, and let it stand at least two hours before watering; this allows most of the chlorine to escape.

c) roots too warm (they must be cool - plant coleus or similar in front to shade the roots).

d) infection (virus, fungus) or infestation (mites or ??)

However, I fear it's done for.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir