clematis

I have tried without much success to grow clematis plants. The advice states to keep the roots in shade which I have done but the plants always seem to fail. Can anyone recommend a particular variety of clematis which is easy to grow? The soil is good quality, fertile, ph neutral and I live in the north east of England.
Thank you

Your local garden center is probably the best source or someone in your neighborhood with a thriving Clematis.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Hi,

General advice I got is _not_ to choose the clematis with large flowers or exceptional long flowering period, but select the more modest clematis types. The one we bought with smaller flower and flowering period of one month instead of two or more months, is now growing much faster and covering a larger area (still spring though here in the Netherlands) than the types with large flowers (or with two flowering periods).
Success,
-- Benno
On 20 Apr 2007 16:13:35 -0700, cowslip

I have 'Jackmanii' and 'C.paniculata' aka sweet autumn clematis. My Jackmanii is indestructible, in good soil growing up through my antique rose 'Sombruiele' (sp?) and is loaded with flowers and buds. I am growing 'Stachys' aka lambs ears at the base to cover the soil where the roots are and it is flowering now with tons of flowers.

Try one of the montana group, such as "Elizabeth". They are coming into flower now (pink, prolific), are available in any garden centre and many supermarkets, and are almost indestructible. Also, they get big. very big. You've been warned...
Janet