Clematis

I have planted a Nelly Moser about a month ago. It seemes to be doing great until 2-3 days ago, when all the leaves on one of the two stems started wilting. Also the leaves are browning from the ground up. The other stem still looks healthy. I am guessing one of the stem got damaged, even though I cannot see anything wrong...?
TIA, Luca

It doesn't take much sometimes to crack the stem open. A dog barging through or you just moving the stem can do it. You are lucky it started to come up from the root again!
And BTW - what is 'digital vinyl'? I am into non-digital vinyl of the music sort, and was wondering.
Nelly Moser is particularly susceptible to clematis wilt, which, btw, does not have to follow any specific pattern as far as foliage or stem coloration is concerned. Cutting off the damaged stem, regardless of the cause, will typically result in new growth from the base, although it may not be apparent immediately.
FWIW, clematis wilt is rarely fatal and most large flowering hybrids will outgrow it after their fifth year. Planting the clematis deeply to begin with will help to develop vigorous growth from the root crown and multiple stems which aid the plant in being more wilt resistant. Hard pruning the first year after planting will also help. Browning of the lower foliage in midsummer is also fairly common with a number of clematis cultivars and generally indicates a need to step up the watering program.
pam - gardengal
Luca wrote:

i have hosta's growing over the base of my clematis, and it works fine!
-- read and post daily, it works! rosie
ever wonder if we would care more about each other if we realized how much we have in common? .............................R. Nagy

Hmm, it looks like you were right after all... The second (and last) stem also collapsed, and this time I am quite sure I did not damage it myself. I will try again next year.
Luca Vancouver, 6b