clematis

Does anyone have suggestions about clematis besides the standard varieties you see in most nurseries and an online source for them?

Andy

Reply to
apostlew

Yes.

Reply to
Travis

I want to plant to provide screening on a porch, so I would like a type I or type II that I don't need to prune I think. I'm in zone 6 and the site will get 2/3 day sun and is protected from wind pretty well.

Andy

Reply to
apostlew

I am replying only to say I don't have an answer, I don't know the verities well enough, but hopefully with the additional information someone who does or has personal experience with one, can be of help. Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you focus on Group I clematis - spring bloomers - then you can avoid pruning. Pretty much all other clematis types will need at least annual pruning to look good and provide maximum bloom. The spring bloomers cover a lot of different clematis, most of which are species forms, so the likelihood of your contracting clematis wilt is significantly reduced. I'd focus in on the montanas - a very vigorous species that blooms in mid-May in my climate. Great looking foliage and a profusion of blooms in pinks and whites for several weeks. Fragrant, too. You could also opt for a Sweet Autumn clematis, Clematis terniflora, that is also a heavy grower with honey-scented, late summer blooms. This one will need to be pruned annually, however, and hard :-))

These are not hard to find - they should be available in most good garden centers and nurseries, if not in more common places like your local Home Depot or Lowes (although perhaps not so late in the season). Otherwise both Chalk Hill Clematis and Joy Creek Nursery offer these vines by mail order and are online.

pam - gardengal

snipped-for-privacy@ec> I want to plant to provide screening on a porch, so I would like a

Reply to
Pam

Check out Bill Bird's article:

He is a Clematis guru of sorts, and his recommendations are working out quite nicely for me.

Suja

Reply to
Suja