Cleaning and Pruning some Trees

All, I have a few black walnut trees that need a minor pruning. Is there anything that I should put over the cuts to protect the trees from insect and such?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Solomon_Man

No. Wound dressings are a money waste at best and cause problems at worst. The only exceptions would be pruning oaks in oak wilt areas or elms in DED areas, and wounds that are not pruning cuts (such as a gash on the trunk or a limb that split off and tore). Even then, I'd say the benefits are debateable. Oh, and some kind of dressing is needed for grafts.

Keith Babberney ISA Certified Arborist #TX-236AT

Reply to
Treedweller