citric waste

Page 1 of 2
just heard on the 5:30 news that some company is planning on building a factory in Florida that will produce ethanol from orange peel and other citric waste.
wonder what that will do to citric prices in the stores.......
Then it wouldn't be called waste, would it? Waste is a human term for inefficient management.

symplastless wrote:

true,
that was the news report's word for it, not mine it was reported on the local nbc station. trying to find a link for the story, so far no luck though.
Actually, that is a proper term for materials which normally have no use for the manufacturer. I give anyone credit who is trying to make a change and I'm pretty surprised by your statement.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:41:48 -0400, "symplastless"

rachael simpson wrote:

Anything with sugar, starch and/or cellulose can be fermented if the polysacharides are broken down first to simple sugars. You could probably also burn the limonene extracted from orange peel in a diesel but then your vehicle would really smell like a lemon ;) Frank
Frank wrote:

i could go for the smell..........but agree with others that they should find something else to use instead of driving food prices up.
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:58:47 -0400, rachael simpson

What makes you think food prices will go up because a company, which most likely uses the oranges to make juice, will use the waste to supplement petrol?

Fundamentally, I'm against finding ways to keep the internal combustion engine going, especially if it involves using food or food by-products. The by-products should be composted and returned to the earth, rather than burned. Besides the use of citrus waste for animal feed (which may be good or bad), but will make poultry and cow raisers look for alternatives, citrus oil has uses as a bio-friendly cleaner, flavouring, and other uses listed at the site below. I imagine candied lemon peel will cost more, at the very least...
http://www.citrusdepot.biz/applications.html
Direct Solvent Replacement being extremely useful, imo.

I understand your point, but wouldn't it be better for the environment if they did something/anything, to replace the burning of fossil fuels? I doubt they put citrus into a compost at Tropicana.
I think anything is better than this idiotic use of petrol.

If it actually replaces fossil fuels, perhaps in the short term, until we come to our senses about we live on this planet. The current biofuel/factory farm monoculture fad still uses more energy to produce, transport, and fertilize (from oil).

If it doesn't have cash profit, the right thing is never done.

Yessir..... On National Public Radio here yesterday, there was a discussion of farm subsidies and Big Agribusiness gets 30% of their income from that corporate welfare program. No mention of that from the current regime when discussing cutting "entitlement" programs, of course. The little guy gets squat.

Don't know where you came from, but welcome and glad to read 'ya. Maybe your're an old hand. Another like-minded one, it would seem.
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message

Glad to read you, too. I don't post much anymore, if I ever really did here. I had to look myself up and apparently I go back to 2002 (and probably lurked for quite some time before that). Something about Udder Balm and Bag Balm and Shania Twain rubbing it all over......... Hey, someone was looking for it and it's makes a gardener's hands soft, too, so it was on-topic.

Hmmmmmmm........rubbing Bag Balm Shania makes......????.....hmmmmm......
Never mind.
Well met.
Charlie
--
In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and
death. ~Sam Llewelyn
cat daddy wrote:

i can certainly vouch for that!

Well you old killjoy! Here I was trying to imagine what the new old guy was on about with his post and you go and inject reality into my daydream!! Thinkin' about gardens and .........never mind again.
Phooo! (oops)
Charlie
--
What a day for a daydream
What a day for a daydreamin' boy
<Charlie> wrote in message

Here ya go, Charlie.....
"Original Udder Balm is an excellent moisturizer for both udders, be they bovine or otherwise."
Back to dreamin'....

Ahhhhhhh.......thankee
(Hush up Billy, and go read Bageant.)
Charlie
--
What a day for a daydream
What a day for a daydreamin' boy

It's worse than the above even sounds. And this from 1995....
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-241.html
"At least 43 percent of ADM's annual profits are from products heavily subsidized or protected by the American government. Moreover, every $1 of profits earned by ADM's corn sweetener operation costs consumers $10, and every $1 of profits earned by its ethanol operation costs taxpayers $30."
rachael simpson wrote:

I'm sure the word you want is "citrus".