Cider apple pulper update

for the cider makers in the group.
The apple pulper works fine. An old $10 waste disposal unit, taken apart and cleaned up and then reassembled. Now in its own collapsable stand. It can be lifted in and out for portability and sits in a small aluminium sink. After about the 8th apple the pulped up apples start sliding out the bottom tube. Each whole apple takes about 5-10 seconds to become mush. The pulping will be over in a few hours rather than the 2 days processing through the food processor. The WD unit must be easily 20+ years old and is solid so should handle a bit of abuse.
rob
Add pictures here
✖

Roll on easter to try it out.
Next project is to build a nice sturdy frame for the apple press. I have built a proper wooden pulp basket and only need the stand for it to sit on and its a proper job finished.
Add pictures here
✖

Aluminum will impart a foul taste to acetic fruit.

How will you separate the solids from the juice? And how will you prevent oxidation? Here in upstate NY there are many cider operations, all press whole apples and bottle the extracted juice immediately. I don't see how you can make cider from apple mush. Seems to me all you're doing is ruining apples.
Add pictures here
✖
"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

Sheesh! How do you think the Brits used to made cider? It's a drink that the Brits have made famous centuries ago. They made cider long before there was a place called New York and their old presses are lumbering and slow and their bottling isn't 'immediate'.
Add pictures here
✖
"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

aluminium sink is what the waste disposer fits within on the frame. Nothing to do with the pulping of the apples.

check out cider making on the net. The mush has to be pressed to extract the juice and is strained in the process. Oxidisation isn't a real problem. Put it in these terms, the chance of apples oxidising after been put through a food processor and then stood as the laborious process is repeated time and again is far greater than a few minutes filling a bucket with freshly pulped apples. If anything, using a waste disposer dramatically reduces any oxidisation of the apples. From whole apple to the press to the fermentation cask in a matter of minutes. You tube it and you will see how the process goes. Piece of cake
rob
Better still, here are some links you can start with
Dudes using waste disposers - check how quickly from apple to juice in the fermenter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM81m5PxdqM
(this guys rig is almost like the one I am building however mine is a collapsable version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixy0XG3FVJQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiQD79eo1Gw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGSHZwwME-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzsHQT5qvGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kWoEKUMmAY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOPC9hNYEb8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDySE8mxxs8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
îzq04UsuTY
or you can try making one of these if you want to (good luck) www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_rldmJQrfI&playnext=1&list=PLF0E35F2D5D5C819D&index=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yig8O1o4hQ4&list=PL2271DC25B696BE0A&index=5&playnext=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7qB_NXFhg0

or you can try it this way, I did and hence the waste disposal unit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM3D5OzDXOw
(this guys rig is like my first build)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt2AY5ZrnIY

Add pictures here
✖
George wrote:

I don't think you could ever clean up a used garbage disposal enough for me to trust its output for human consumption. There must be a better way....
gloria p
Add pictures here
✖

do a youtube search - a dozen or more examples. Mine was stripped right down and buffed back to clean metal, water blasted and put through an extended dish wash. As far as crushing apples goes, there isn't an easier or better way that I can see.
rob
Add pictures here
✖

Well done Rob, but where are the pics so we can see it?
Add pictures here
✖

on my cellphone at present
rob