Cicadas

I have holes appearing all over the place away from trees. I always thought cicadas laid their eggs in tree bark and the nymph climbs down and buries itself in the ground nearby ready to climb back up the tree. But I planted a mandarin tree recently away from other trees, it now has a cicada shell on it,the tree has not been there long enough for the first part of the cycle. I do not know if all the holes away from trees are cicadas or coincidence and are giant spiders that appear the same time as cicadas ???
F Murtz said:

You might be surprised at how far the roots of a tree will reach--far beyond the extent of the canopy. A tree might even send a substantial root a very long way to reach a source of water or a rich pocket of soil.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
F Murtz;994686 Wrote: > I have holes appearing all over the place away from trees.

--
thomaspoul