chrysamthemum

Hi All, we brought a mum from a local store 2yrs ago, in a pot, it flowered then looked like it died, back in the spring the other half planted it in the garden, it has grown to over 6ft tall, and flowered yellow flowers about 4in across, it is a chrysamthemum, i have checked the leaves with others that we have , but I have never seen one grow so tall as this , any ideas as to what type it is? going to try and get a photo on here.. thanks ...
--
trand

Ones purchased from nurseries and garden centers have typically been treated by the growers with growth retardants to keep them small and compact. Once established in the ground or allowed to outgrow these treatments, mums can get quite tall. They can be cut or pinched back periodically during the growing season to keep them shorter, with the last cutting around mid-July. This also helps to increase the number of flowering stems or bud formation. Most garden mums are hybrids......and there are literally hundreds of different cultivars with various colors, heights, bloom types and times.
In article

We have tried to grow mums here ( Football Mums) and failed whereas my father-in-law had success. 50 miles a way but his soil was very sandy. We treat them like annuals like other plants we dont understand culture of.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !

They grow like weeds here. I cut them to the ground and they still keep coming up. I don't even think I could kill them. In the spring I cut a hole in the center so they do not split in the center when they get tall, about four feet, I also trim them back a bit in June when they get about two feet tall.
I have them around my back deck. One headache is bees love mums and I have a fun time just sitting on the back deck wondering how long it will bee, pun, before I get stung.