Christmas Eve Bloomers

I just finished looking for my bloomers.....blooming plants-that is. Each Christmas Eve day I list what I have in bloom in the garden. Even just one flower on the plants counts. Here is this year's list:

December 24, 2003

azalea (one blossom) abutilon rose: floribunda Confetti rose: grandiflora Ole euryops japanese aralia viburnum tinus (just starting) sasanqua camellia Yuletide sasanqua camellia Kanjiro erigeron Santa Barbara Daisy narcissus Chinese Sacred Lily salvia Hot Lips (2 blossoms) nasturtium gaillardia strawberry Pink Panda (2 blossoms) oxalis pink redwood sorrel pansies snapdragons primroses iris dwarf Smell the Roses iris dwarf Little Blue Eyes lantana purple and in a sheltered little spot in the Secret Garden some tiny little pink impatiens!

Happy Holidays to everyone at wreck.gardens

Emilie Northern California's North Central Valley

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

Hmmmm. Here's mine (zone 9, New Orleans) December 24

princess tree azalea (two kinds, two blossoms) tea olive wild canna Early Pearl narcissus salvia--common red kind violas purple-leafed oxalis dwarf banana variegated hibiscus lantana pink and yellow lantana purple

This might sound quite colorful, but it amounts to tiny dabs of color in a vast expanse of green and brown, which if a frost hits will turn to tan and brown. Still, it's more colorful than Brno, Moravia, where after unending weeks of snow, conifers and bare soil I snatched a wild violet from under the snarls of a fenced-in Chow and brought it back to the dorm in triumph.

zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Here's what I have blooming right now in zone 8:

Cyclamen hederofolium -- one of many has not yet quite blooming for its season, as later-blooming species supplant the greater floweriness: Cyclamen coum Cyclamen cilicium

Camellia sasanqua "Rosea" thick with pink single-blossoms Camellia olifera x hiemalis "Showa-no-Sakae" full of pink double-blossoms Camellia olifera x hiemalis "Snow Flurry" with several white doubles

Crocus laevigatus var fontenayi, winter crocus

Viburnum "Dawn" full of pink flowers on its leafless branches

Kaffir lilies -- three cultivars take turns blooming so that one or another has flowers any season of the year; "Mrs Haggerdy" is in full bloom right now.

Abelia "Edward Goucher," not as flowery as during autumn but still pretty flowery

Cornus canadensis, Bunchberry. Though it doesn't really bloom anew in winter, its final autumn flowers that missed getting pollinated persist, turning from white to brighter & brighter pink as winter progresses.

Loropetalum chinense var rubrum "Sizzling Pink" Fringeflower, very nearly ever-blooming in my garden, plus the purple leaves are evergreen.

"Autumn Glow" Hebe. Bloomed like mad until November, still has a couple of limb-ends with bright purple blooms not quite finished.

Really feeble out-of-season blooms without their in-season stems are in close to the leaves of one bergenia, several chinese rampions, a cherry-bells campanula. Plus one patch blue siberian campanula hasn't as yet interupted its re-flowerings.

On the VERGE of bloom is witchhazel & a winterblooming honesuckle, but not quite yet.

There's a deluge outside right now or I'd take a tour about to see if I'm forgetting something cool. Most of the winter flowers are subdued, it certainly doesn't add up to a flowery show, except where the camellias are growing, those are showy as all heck. If one counted winter berries as being almost as good as flowers, there's a great many of those, from the neon-violet beautyberries to several kinds of red to orange cotoneasters & big white snowberries. The garden also gains some color from such things as Nishiki willow the newer twigs turning coral-red in winter, while the redtwig dogwood's younger limbs turn wine-red, & climbing hydrangea's thicker exfoliating limbs are bright orange. Birches & hazels also have catkins on them right now, but the catkins are not yet at maximum show which happens late-winter for the hazels & early spring for the birch, when the hard little early winter catkins turn into long soft golden chains.

I've a patch of winter irises that failed to bloom, wahhh.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

On 24 Dec 2003 18:34:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MLEBLANCA) wrote: snippers>>>> ok, my bloomers are inside......Oxalis Silver and Gold, Oxalis Rubra, a slender leafed sanseveria that has a HUGE spike loaded with overly fragrant tiny little flowers, My Desert Rose has buds,(Adenium Apocynaceae), Considering it's 31o outside, that's not bad (no, no Clivia this year yet, Pen) :( I'm about to give it the chill it needs and hopefully it will bloom for me in February.....I keep trying. madgardener up on the cold and bitter ridge (wind chill is a bitch!!) back in Fairy Holler where the fairies are all tucked under leaves and such, overlooking English Mountain where the lights are twinkling all over, in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

Show off :-)

Here's what I have blooming this Christmas Eve in Zone 5, Chicago.

Nothing.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Reply to
madgardener

I'm jealous! The hellebores aren't even blooming here!

Love caryn>

"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Reply to
NAearthMOM

Here's what I have blooming in Zone 5, Mi. A yellow Begonia, a HUGE Christmas Cactus, a 5yr. old white Pointsettia and a shamrock. All indoors of course. We got a white Christmas again this year with 6 inches of new snow, but it's supposed to be 48 degrees & sunny by Sunday. Happy Holidays to All Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Reply to
SAS567