Christmas Cactus is dying

I've had this beautiful C C for over 10 years in a hanging basket. On occasions in the past and most recently last year or so, I rejuvenated the soil by adding more fresh soil at the bottom. This Winter, I've noticed that the leaves are getting shrivel looking, that one touches it, its like getting paper thin and wrinkly. It has never failed blooming for me around Christmas time at that.. Does anyone know why this happened and can it be saved?

Reply to
noel888

I believe our CC are at least 10 years old and still going strong.

I never messed with the soil.

Sounds like under watering.

I know from experience they can dry out _a lot_ and stay alive but they shrivel up a bit.

I usually water every 5 days or so.

Reply to
despen

Chirstmas cactus will begin to shrivel if too little water is given, usually starting on one branch. A little shrivel is ok when the plant is at rest after a bloom. But, the fastest way to kill it is to overwater it with the pot resting in a saucer full of water. I water mine well once a week, sometimes twice a month if cool.

Reply to
Phisherman