Chrerry Tree Infested w/ Ants or Termites?

Page 2 of 2

Symplastless: cheers. Just for the record, I never use anything that kills everything.

Several years ago, beofre I bought the house someone and trimmed it resulting in several places on the trunk that are entrance points for the ants.I think the tree has fungus inside and the ants were probably carrying out the rotten wood.

If they made flush cuts and used wound dressing I am sure you got rot. Just the flush cut alone will stimulate decay because it removes the collar of branch and truck tissue collectively termed the branch collar. The collar has little chemical factories that resist the spread of pathogens into the trees. If you remove the collar you remove this defense feature. In Texas, years after years of flush cutting and applying wound dressing has really stimulated oak wilt. If you want to make a home for small wildlife you can make a flush cut and a cavity will form. Not good for the tree but good for small wildlife.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/index.html