Chimney drainage

Read something in Fine Gardening. The article mentioned Chimney Drainage. I had never heard of it. How deep do the holes go? How are they drilled? What do I fill the holes with? How many holes per sq yard? etc
This might be a good remedy to a drainage problem I have. Thank you.

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/soils/caliche.html
You may not like the cost involved!
Tom J