Chicago garden needs to have "tree of heaven" killed

Apparently this plant "tree of heaven" also known as ailanthus, Chinese sumac, and stinking shumac. Is difficult to destroy?? Anyone know how to do this please. I am having real difficulty in understanding what this article says and would appreciate any help.
--
Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra. In real life,
I assure you, there is no such thing as algebra.
harry palmer wrote:

What article?
Look at the "cut stump" method in the following link. You can use Brush B-Gon, full strength, when you can't find the Garlon:
<http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/aial1.htm
Bob

thanks Bob that article you sent was spot on. I couldn't find the other one. Again thanks for your help.
Hp
In article snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Just chop it down like any other tree. They do spread a lot of seeds like any other tree and these trees can literally grow in a sidewalk crack but they aren't that big of a problem. I pull just as many maple seedlings as I do tree of heaven seedlings. I let one grow from seed and after 7 years it's 25 feet high making for a great shade tree. I trim if every fall to control and shape its growth because if you don't, it will grow like a weed because it is a weed.