Changing Botanical Names

There is a beautiful shy Australian called ‘Sturt Desert Pea’. I just included it in my ebook, and I try to be accurate when adding botanical names. Strangely, this one is ‘Clianthus formosus’ in some books, but ‘Swainsona formosa’ in others. I chose the latter because it seems a more recent naming. I found that in 1999 yet another classification was suggested but “…rejected by the scientific community…” Question: who exactly determines a plant’s classification? Thanks for replies – Klaus www.greetings122.com
Add pictures here
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au wrote:

see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Author_citation_(botany)
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_name
Name changes happen when the species moves to a new position in the hierarchy of taxonomy.
David
Add pictures here
âś–
On 8/25/12 9:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au wrote:

For a long time, flowering plants were classified mostly by the forms of their flowers, including microscopic examinations. Other characteristics were also used, but flower form was the primary characteristic.
In recent years, however, the advent of DNA sequencing has led to using that as the primary (almost sole) basis for classification. Two different plants with very similar DNA are now classed as closely related and might thus be separate species in the same genus or even separate varieties of the sam species. This has led to (1) a major reclassification of plants and (2) the creation of new genera and species.
For the botanical names of plants in my garden that I indicate on my Web site, I rely mostly on Sunset's "Western Garden Book", which might be considered the "gardening bible" for the U.S. and Canada west of the Rocky Mountains. Australia, of course, is outside the scope of that reference except for imports of some North American native plants into Australia and (more likely) exports of Australian native plants into North America.
A new edition of Sunset's "Western Garden Book" is published every few years. I currently have four different editions. When I get a new edition, I check all the botanical names shown on my Web site to see if any require updating. Often, the book parenthetically indicates prior botanical names when there has been a change. The book generally does not have botanical names for vegetables and fruit trees but does have botanical names for ornamental varieties of those.
Where the book does not list botanical names, I resort to Wikipedia.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 8/26/12 8:12 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

The ultimate arbitrator of botanical names is the International Association for Plant Taxonomy.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
âś–

Thank you for to-the-point reply - Klaus.
Add pictures here
âś–

+++++++++++++ Sincere thanks for very detailed and helpful reply - Klaus
Add pictures here
âś–
On 26/08/2012 05:56, snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au wrote:

You may find the article " Major changes to the Code of Nomenclature—Melbourne, July 2011" of interest: http://masetto.ingentaselect.co.uk/fstemp/f1d332113fa7ce4ab5ee6c9957906e19.pdf
--

Jeff

Add pictures here
âś–

Many thanks for very helpful reply - Klaus
Add pictures here
âś–
I am looking for some interested and informative posts in that forum during that search i got your post its nice i like your post.
--
LouPhillips

Add pictures here
âś–