Chain saw starts, idles, won't run fast

My brother said he had a new carb kit put in but it still is the same. Starts fine, idles, press the throttle at all and it dies.

I know there are some tweaks to make on settings and screws but is it obvious from my description where one might start?

Thanks,

Reply to
Gary

With my lawn mower running like this, it was the ignition coil. Took two trips to a shop to get it fixed ;( Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Possible clogged fuel filter?? Prime it it runs then cuts out.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Sounds like the vaccum hose is missing or faulty. It needs it.

Reply to
James

Hi Gary,

Just a guess, but has the exhaust/muffler been checked? Mud Wasps just love to build their mud nests inside of them. Your machine won't run right if it can't expel the exhaust fast enough.

I took the carb off my string trimmer, cleaned it, new sparkplug and then I finally realized it sounded a bit more muffled than usual when it did sputter. Yup, mud wasp's had filled the exhaust port up. I could just poke it out with a stiff piece of wire on my machine. Listen to it when it does run and make sure it has a good bark/sound, a good clue to whether it might be an exhaust problem or not.

The repair shops must make a fortune fixing this problem...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Thanks for the suggestion, exhaust looks clean. Having been stung in the head by 2 or 3 wasps about a week ago I wasn't looking forward to finding more.

Reply to
Gary

I checked the user/parts manuals and no mention of a vaccuum hose is made. So you're right! It's missing!

Reply to
Gary

Took out the fuel filter, looks clean, blew through it backwards, seems fine.

I got a couple new spark plugs and will try ignition coil next if no progress.

Reply to
Gary