Celosia life cycle?

Last time a grew celosia, a neighbor's dog dug up the month-old seedlings, so I never got to see it through a full season. I've got it growing now. It's got the same plumes it started with. They just get bigger. Don't these things ever fade and need to be deadheaded, or do the original plumes stick around until frost?
Its an annual. If you allow the original plumes to go to seed, you will have seed for next year.

Right - but they just make the one set of plumes? (zone 5, by the way).

What do you mean?
If you are asking if they will bloom a second time, the answer is no. Just let them do their thing by themselves.
They never fade. They are often used in dried flower arrangements.

That's what I meant.

Can't I nag them occasionally?

Hmmm.....interesting.