Cedar trees: how to space them

Hello, all: Just a brief question. On the weekend I bought 6 cedar trees. Emerald Green Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' -- zone 3a). The information tag mentions how deeply to plant them, but not how far apart. The trees are 5-6 feet tall and about 1-2 feet wide. I wanted to plant them as a privacy wall and thought that I'd put them so that their branches were just a few inches apart. Someone at my gym said this morning "No, no! They should be about 3 feet apart from each other. But I'm worried that this would be too far and they won't fill in enough.

Any advice or comments would be gratefully received!

David

PS: I live in Toronto, Canada if that makes a difference in terms of temperature, planting concerns, etc.

Reply to
WPB

I do not know what they told you on the label but here are planting suggestions. As far as spacing goes that depends on your goal. They may grow well together as a group.

symplastless

The label doesn't mention anything about how far to space the trees apart when planting. My goal is simply to have a nice, solid wall of cedars for privacy's sake. But too close and they crowd each other out and too far apart and there are gaps which defeats the purpose. So I'm just looking for the correct spacing for this specific type of cedar tree.

Many thanks!

David _______________________________________________________

"symplastless" wrote in news:1pydnQScwf-biInbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
WPB

Plant them about 30 inches apart... and remember Google is your friend.

Reply to
ISteveador

Rhizosphere

> UnhealthyTreesfrom the Nursery / Improper Planting
and

Chemistry)

> Sincerely,

Minor picky detail: Thuja's are not related in any way to Cedars. Separate species entirely.

Reply to
Treelady

Fair enough, but I only typed up what was on the card that came with the tree.

Reply to
WPB

And so are newsgroups. Patronizing, but at least you gave me the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Reply to
WPB

Again, I think you missed my point on planting depth. If the case I will repeat with this address for proper planting depth. The tree should be planted at the depth the roots are coming off the trunk. Any deeper and they are too deep. Just prepare your planting site to the depth you would like to plant. Any deeper and adding fill will more or less sink and the trees will be planted too deep. Do not fertilize or prune until the second growing season. Proper mulching would be a good idea which I suggest as well. Please see proper mulching. Also if you properly prepare a planting site and not just dig a hole you may have to stake if your trees will blow over in a mild wind. For the most part I do not deal with products or promote them. However, it has been rightfully suggest not to use wire in a hose and use broad belt-like flexible material that will allow the tree to sway. No body would make them for me so I make my own. We sell the as well. The are called CAMB GUARDS. Please do not use wire in a hose. No matter how big the hose the pressure is still localized. I tell you these things because I care for you and the trees. If you decide you would like to stake and use CAMB GUARDS I will make you a good deal.

Planting

and Look up "Tree Planting"
Mulching -
and
Look up "Mulch"

Proper staking:

just a suggestion.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless