Ceanothus advice needed please

Hi

I bought a Ceanothus Californian Lilac last year , it was about 3 feet tall when the heavy snow hit England at the beginning of this year, the weight of the snow bent the top half down and snapped the main stem, so its now only half the height it was, its still alive and ok and a nice shade of blue right now.

My question is as the main stem and growing tip has been broken will it ever get any higher ??? Or is it worth getting a whole new plant.

Thanks for any advice

Mike

Reply to
jesterhud

Most ceanothus tend to grow as shrubs, not trees. Prune away the broken broken branches. Be careful to either leave green leaves or shoots immediately below each cut, or else remove the entire branch. A bare branch will generally not produce new growth but will instead die back to its base. Also, branches more than an inch in diameter should not be cut unless broken or dead.

If yours survived a snowy winter, consider yourself lucky. Ceanothus generally does not do well where freezing winter temperatures are normal. They do okay with winters that average above freezing but might withstand occasional winters with one or two days down to 20F if preceded by gradual cooling below freezing.

Note that ceanothus is relatively short-lived, 5-10 years is usual. Also, ceanothus needs a relatively dry soil, especially in the summer. They are native to California, where winter is the wet season and no rain falls for 150-200 days in the summer. They grow wild in the hills near my house, where even winter is not really a wet season; it's a not-so-dry season.

Why not grow something more suitable to your climate, such as true lilacs or peonies? Both of them do very poorly in my mild-winter climate and would not suffer in your summer rains.

Reply to
David E. Ross