Caught Unprepared

Hi all,
I was away for 10 days and was back yesterday just to see that it had snowed the day before. This meant that the boxes I have handing out in the balcony are covered with snow and the soil is quite hard.
Is there anything to remedy the hard soil problem and how to protect the soil from the next snow/frost... that is.. though the whole winter.
Thanks, Max
MaxMustermann wrote:

The soil has just frozen. No problem. It will thaw in the spring, and you can plant whatever you want.
Hmm...
I sowed some ramson seeds end of October and now the soil is frozen. Would it affect the seeds or is this a natural process?
Would it better to places some sort of mulch layer on top of the soil to avoid it from freezing?
Max
MaxMustermann wrote:

Don't know. The soil in a windows/patio box will freeze if the temp goes low enough, as they lose heat out of all sides of the box. So mulching won't help. (Mulching does help in gardens out in the yard, but that's another topic.)
Wait and see. If the seeds germinate, you've learned something about ramson. If they don't, you'll have to reseed.
PS: Go to your local library, and borrow a few books on gardening. Good winter reading. :-)
Wolf Kirchmeir MaxMustermann wrote:
Hmm...
I sowed some ramson seeds end of October and now the soil is frozen. Would it affect the seeds or is this a natural process?
Would it better to places some sort of mulch layer on top of the soil to avoid it from freezing?
Max
Don't know. The soil in a windows/patio box will freeze if the tem goes low enough, as they lose heat out of all sides of the box. So mulching won't help. (Mulching does help in gardens out in the yard, but that's another topic.)
Wait and see. If the seeds germinate, you've learned something about ramson. If they don't, you'll have to reseed.
PS: Go to your local library, and borrow a few books on gardening Good winter reading. :-)
if u have seeds in there they may or may not survive depending on th plastic container that they are in and how cold your winters get to be
u should maybe find some sheltered area to keep them in and then bur them containers and all if u have to in soil or in a mulch so that the are well protected. even at that they might not survive because plastic freezes and seem to attract the cold other than the heavy black greenhouse container they seem to work not to badly. good luck. sockiescat
-- sockiescat