cats and new gardens

Hi,
I have just planted out some sweet corn seeds in a newly cultivated patch of dirt and after watching one of my five cats closely have been trying to work out how to keep her [them] from using the area as a toilet - at least until the seedlings are big enough to handle trespassers.
I thought about a lattice fence - decided they would jump over that. Then thought of a chicken wire fence, but thought that would need a 'roof.' Thought of keeping the sprinkler nearby, to either keep the soil damp or to turn on when one approached the area but then I would have to watch it 24 hours a day.
Any other suggestions?

Yes, they really do love it when you work the soil up for them, huh! I've had good success with just laying rabbit wire on top of the ground until the plants get up to about 4-6 inches tall. The wire I use has openings about 2" x 4" so the plants just come right up through the wire. The cats don't like walking on it and can't dig up the seed bed. I just lift the wire off after the plants are well established, and the cats don't seem to bother them. I have a small garden, so this works well. It might not be so practical with a larger garden space. Hope this helps, Gary

Better dug soil elsewhere, plus a little old litter or some ammonia.
Or citrus peels around the new plants. Or some of the more "stickery" pine cones liberally strewn over the area.

Fence wire, bent over the top of the garden row, in a tunnel shape. You'll need to cut small pieces to make the ends of the tunnel.
Ba da bing. End of problem.
eggshells on top of soil.
--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the