Catepillers!

I'm told that everyone is having a problem with caterpillars this year in my area. There are tent caterpillars and a bunch of others. They're all over my neighbor's baby fruit trees and seem to be coming over to my lot for dessert. They've munched most of the new growth off of my expensive new chinoides rhododendrons.
What's the best approach to dealing with them? I've seen people talking about a bacillus, but didn't see it at the garden center.
-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 4 years. At goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes, hba1c 5.4. Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!
Low carb facts and figures, my weight-loss photos, tips, recipes, strategies for dealing with diabetes and more at http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean /
Looking for help controlling your blood sugar? Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly%20Diagnosed.htm

Some commercially available Bt varieties and target pests:
Bacillus thuringiensis <<<<<<< var. tenebrionis - Colorado potato beetle and elm leaf beetle larvae var. kurstaki - caterpillars <<<<<<< var. israelensis - mosquito, black fly, and fungus gnat larvae var. aizawai - wax moth larvae and various caterpillars, especially the diamondback moth caterpillar Some commercial products may mix varieties or contain additional varieties. Check the label.
Marketed under various trade names such as Biobit, Dipel, Javelin, etc.
Jenny wrote:

The tent caterpillars will not do permanent damage to the trees.
I have never seen tent caterpillars attack my rhododendrons.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Break a hole in the tent and wasps will finish them off. As long as the chinoides rhododendrons are healthy, the loss of leaves will cone back. Many times a specific caterpillar will only eat fron a specific host. Observe what the caterpillar looks like eating the leaves and then check and see if you find it on this website - http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk /. If you have others, you can use the site to id them, too.
Jenny wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky