CAT FOULING

Whilst I have no aversion to cats, I do have a problem with them using the pebbled area in my garden as a litter tray! Can anyone please advise me of a way to deter this from happening?

Reply to
maddytuckett

Stick something thorny, like broken up rose stems in the area? Dull the points to make uncomfortable for the cat to walk over. They only need to walk in the area once and they'll remember to avoid it next time. Any other manner of making their feet feel uncomfortable might work as well.

Another option is to put something there that offends there sense of smell. Their noses are sensitive. They also have a vorneronasal organ (Jacobson's organ) in the roof of their mouth where they can taste what their smelling without coming in contact with the item. I haven't tried this, but perhaps basil will work. Cayenne pepper or common black pepper might work as well. Supposedly cats can even smell common table salt.

Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.

wrote: Whilst I have no aversion to cats, I do have a problem with them using the pebbled area in my garden as a litter tray! Can anyone please advise me of a way to deter this from happening?

Reply to
Jim Carlock

Same problem here, but in open spots in my rhubarb bed. I scattered a few set mousetraps in it and the cat(s?) went away.

Reply to
lgb

moth balls

Reply to
rosie read n' post

If the cat keeps hitting the ball outside the foul line, it needs to practice its swing more!!!!

Its your fault for having a part of your garden covered with gravel as fine as kitty litter. Cats are very particular where they poop and for them to literally go out of their way just to take a dump there is a rare honor.

If you were smart, you would have used something cats don't like such as pine bark mulch instead.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Are you missing a trap or two? :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That is often suggested. But it never works against any animal. I gave up using moth balls about 20 years ago in favor of a battery operated electric fence.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

I stopped using moth balls when my eyesight got too bad to collect the little suckers.

Tony

Reply to
Tennessee Tony

Sprinkle cayanne pepper in the area. Once the cats lick that off their paws they'll leave that area alone.

Marv-Montezuma, IA

VMWOOD

My cat is perfectly happy going in my redwood (mini nugget) mulch but he is polite enough to cover it up so I really don't mind. I'm just happy not to need any litter box. Now the dog, thats another story.

There are a number of feline repellant sprays available at pet stores. In the cat group, I have seen something called Feliway recommended but have never tried it myself.

Reply to
AutoTracer

To be clear Feliway is *not* a repellant, but a pheromone for helping manage stress related behaviors.

Reply to
Toni

You're just not trying hard enough.

Swyck