Castlewellan Gold - How To Control?

Hi guys,
I just bought a new house and in the back garden is a huge Castlewellan Gold tree. I would like rid of it so I was wondering what the best way to kill it off would be? Is there anything that I can buy or do? Ideally I want to kill it off then cut it down myself.
Thanks, Gared

Does not make sense. Cut it down.
Bill
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

I want to get it a little less bulky first, the thing is huge!
Gared

killing it won't make it any less bulky, unless you're willing to live with a dead tree in your yard for 10 years or so. it would take at least 5 for the smaller branches to start to fall. just cut it down, cut it up & be done with it. lee
enigma wrote:

Agreed. A dead tree is a whole lot of branches waiting to fall on something or somebody.
Also if it is really huge and you have no experience dropping such a thing (as seems likely) consider that DIY may be a false economy. Tree dropping is a very dangerous business and doing it safely is harder than it looks. The larger the tree and the more confined the space the more difficult it gets. One reason the professionals charge so much is their insurance is so high. Better a lighter wallet than a crushed house, car or person.
David

i had a 40-45 year old Norway maple about 9 feet from the corner of my house (previous owners were really into planting invasive species). now, i have experience dropping trees, but i'm not touching one that close to the house, especially with limbs overhanging the roof, etc. when i had the woodlot logged, i asked the cutter to take down the Norway maple. he refused... too close to the house. so, i hired a tree guy to cut & shred it. took him most of the day to drop it & shread the branches, but it's gone & i'm happy. cost me less than $600 for the maple & a similarly poorly placed fir that was heaving the driveway with it's roots. lee