Castlewellan Gold (?)dying.

Hi
New here today and quite a garden novice! I have 2 Castlewellan Gold trees which I bought already cut into balls, the trunks are about 2-2.5ft and the ball about 1-1.5ft. I have them in pots outside my front door, NW facing, and sheltered. I water them regularly. One is fine, the other has started turning brown. It started about 4 weeks ago and seems to be getting worse. I dont know why, I'm assuming not position as only a door width apart, and assuming not lack/over watering as cared for in the same way? Any ideas? and anything I can do to save the tree??
Thanks Linda
--
linda porter

Hi
I set up a post a few days ago regarding one of a pair of Castlewellan Gold(i beleive that is the correct name) which has gone very brown in patches, dispite being looked after well. The other tree is fine. Since posting, a friend suggested an aphid that carries a virus may be the cause??? Something they had heard, and didnt have any other information...Does any-one know anything about this, and if there is anything I can do to save my tree. Any help much much appricated.
thanks Linda
--
linda porter

On Aug 24, 7:42 am, linda porter <linda.porter.

FYI For those of you who are wondering (as i was) Castlewellan Gold is a variety of Cupressocyparis leylandii or Leyland Cypress
Emilie

Beth Chatto had that bug in her trees I seem to recall. One of her books (the one where she converts her car park into a dry garden) has lots of info on it and how she treated it if I recall correctly.