Cascalote tree losing leaves

I live in the AZ desert and have a Cascalote tree [Caesalpinia cacalaco] that my local nursery planted. It's approx. 8 feet tall x 8 feet wide. It was beautiful when it was planted four months ago, but the tree is not doing well now. The leaves are turning yellow, and leaves are falling off big time. I'm wondering if I might be over- watering it (what are the symptoms of over-watering a tree???) Also, some of the leaves seem to have little specks of a white crystalline substance on them -- it kind of looks like rock salt. Is that a sign of an insect problem? Thank you for any information.

-john

Reply to
zgraf

No thoughts or ideas? Anyone?

Reply to
zgraf

The only though from way up here in Michigan is, perhaps to consult the nursery. They planted it for you. Did they offer some sort of guarantee?

Knock a branch over a sheet of white paper and check to see if any tiny insects can be seen crawling on it. (A quick Googling suggests that psyllid infestation is possible in April/May.)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Thanks, Pat. Appreciate the information.

Reply to
zgraf

I have the same problem with a Cascalote tree in our yard. It has the same symptoms of dropping leaves and the little crystal specks on the leaves. Did you ever get an answer or solution?

John S.

Reply to
John S.

According to Sunset's "Western Garden Book", you are likely overwatering it. This is a drought-tolerant tree that needs "well-drained soil and infrequent, deep watering."

Reply to
David E. Ross

Try power hosing the entire tree every few days. This aids in controlling them. I also recommend spraying with a general purpose pesticide once a week for two to three weeks.

Reply to
Jo -arizona

The description is not very clear. What do you think 'they' are? It is an idea to find out what you are dealing with before spraying.

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I don't know what ' they' are even after considerable research.That's why I advised using a general purpose spray. We had the same problem on a cascolote tree where I work and by power hosing them they disappeared and the tree recuperated. The "bugs' showed up again this spring so I am repeating the power hosing treatment and spraying with an all purpose insecticide spray and it is definitely having an effect.

Reply to
Jo