Carnations that smell like Cinnamon?

A neighbour of mine in Vancouver (I now live in Winnipeg) had some gorgeous carnations that came up year after year and smelled BEAUTIFUL! They smelled very similiar to cinnamon. They did not last long if you cut them, but they were so pretty in the ground there was little need to cut them.
Does anyone know what species of carnation this would be? Or maybe it wasn't a carnation, but another, very similar looking plant?
thank you!
Shaynelle wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't cloves instead of cinnamon? Clove scents are common in the Dianthus genus (pinks, so called not because of their color but because their petals have toothed edges as if cut with pinking shears), especially among the perennial pinks. Carnations themselves (D. caryophyllus) are sometimes called clove pinks.
--

David E. Ross
<URL:http://www.rossde.com/

I've had a carnation that smelled like cinnamon, not cloves; can't remember the name but I think it was dianthus (the D. in the above?) something. Our 6 year old picked it out one year, and it was fairly hardy, as I recall.
Callen in VA
On 5/10/05 2:43 PM, in article d5qvdf$6b5$ snipped-for-privacy@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU,

I've had Sweet Williams that smelled more cinnamon then clove.
Any which way - it is my favorite scented flower - so refreshing! Cheryl

The color "pink" is named after the flower..
wrote in message>

It's not the colour, it's the shape, after "pinking shears" used for certain dress designs.
they are used to keep the fabric from fraying.... not just for design... but that is neither here nor there...

Carnations (Dianthus caryophyllu) are also known as "Clove carnation" for their distinctive scent.
Thank you everyone, I will try the Dianthus caryophyllu - the carnations I knew of did smell like cinnamon, but its possible this is still the correct species. They were very hardy from what I recall, they just kept coming back year after year with very little care.
Crossing my fingers these are the ones! :)
Thanks again! Katherine