Caring for tree peony?

I bought a house that has a well established tree peony. I really have no idea how to care for it, and it's a spectacular plant. The flowers last spring were the size of soccer balls!
Can anyone tell me the proper care for these? Should they be pruned at any time? Fertilized? Thanks in advance!
Jo Ann

I never pruned mine or fertilized but my mulch is on the heavy side.
This is the only plant which I sprayed twice with a systemic to deal with some sort of red spot problem. This 6 years ago since then no problems which may be due to increase light in my yard ? Once had a problem with ants that killed a young peony. Have 4 growing well with paranoid concern ;)).
Bill who will be looking for upward facing tree peonies this year. Picky Picky Picky.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Uh... ants are supposed to be on peonies. They help the blossoms open. ???

These ant's carved a home out of the Peony root system. My regular peonies have many ants about the potential bloom, must be sweet. My tree peonies don't seem to have the same symbiotic relationship. I'd hazard a guess tree peonies have less sugar than other peonies. Anyone know?
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Bill I always heard that ants were a common but necessary evil on peonies?

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well

Without ant's and vulture's we would be knee deep in dead rotting matter. They are trying to clean up not evil a blessing. Still those ant's can do what they do outside my home along with termites.
The ant's on flower's are there because the plant called them. I'm more concerned about honey bee's not being able to find home these days. Weird!!!
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Thanks for the tips on your experience with your tree peony. I have regular (bush?) peonies as well as my tree peony, and when it comes to ants, the same experience: The regular peony attracts ants, the tree peony does not.

No, that is a "folk tale". Ants are not necessary for peony buds to open. I have peonies, some with ants and some without; buds open just fine on them both.
Tree peonies are nice in warmer climates, since they need less winter chill than herbaceous types.
Emilie NorCal
correct. it is a folk tale. Ingrid