Care tips for your orchid

I forgot one for Don Staples whuile I am at it.. Wood, e.g., cellulose, is bad for a forest so logging must be done in the name of forest health. How much more absurd can you possibly be?
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
symplastless wrote:

Please tell me that English is not your native language.
--John
wrote in message>>

Uh, could you possibly try and explain what your talking about? Where as logging has something to do with cellulose (i.e., that's what is harvested) where did I, or any one else, ever say cellulose (what a forest is) is bad for a forest? You really need to take your meds.

wrote in message

many projects on the Allegheny National Forest are planned under the false premise that logging helps increase the health of a forest.
It probably would not take long to review your website and find the latter.
Your site here for starters, give me a chance and I will find more examples. http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm
please explain what biological benefit logging has for forest health?
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
wrote in message

Clip from http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm "Nature just does not cooperate with the best of management efforts. At that time you may have to salvage whats left."
Don, you do not understand or know how to work with nature. You work against nature. Why would there be a requirement to "salvage" cellulose, or shall I lucidly say, "ROB" the forest, of much required cellulose? And you say you are a forester. Maybe I am a forester.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

No, you are a freaking nut job.

please list them all for us but this time, for clarity, don't use any spaces or punctuation.
thank you.

I will work on it.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

I will work on it throughout my day. However, a very good book that you can get your library to get is 100 Tree Myths by Shigo. It's about myths and half truths. The book is only $14.00. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/100MYTH.html
I will be working on others.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Here is my first 21. I am working on it. Please have a little patience. Myths and half truths
Meristematic points are dormant buds Trees heal wounds Trees have root flares at the base of the trunk Trees are a natural renewable resource, keep cutting them and they will come back the way they were Peach trees respond like apple trees internally when pruned. Soil is dirt. All tree species have heartwood. The cambial zone is a single layer of cells. Wood, cellulose mostly, is harmful if left in a once fertile forest. Wood is dead, wood is dead, wood is dead! Thinning out, removing the inner crowns of a tree, makes a tree more wind resistant. Fertilizer is food. Elements are nutrients. Trees absorb nutrients All fungi is bad. Salvaging wood, cellulose mostly, is restoration. Nature just does not cooperate with the best of management efforts. At that time you may have to salvage whats left In forestry, "Usually the sales material is damaged dead, or dying." So logging is required. Wood in a forest - "best to move the material, get it out of the way for future work." Restoration in a forest, can mean a lot of work, depending on what caused the initial damage. How about logging injury? A chain saw is not a scientific tool.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Wound dressings" are no longer recommended, it ( as I always believed) is not needed. Trees heal themselves fine without our "help".
said:

and planting *too* deeply will kill the tree. while rot may be a major cause of failure, one shouldn't have rot issues if one prunes correctly & doesn't plant too deep.
lee
said:

Thanks for the info! Bless you bless you bless you!
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Trees heal wounds is another myth. Heal is a animal term often used with plants and trees. Trees compartmentalize wounds.
Healing is regenerating term while trees generate and not regenerate. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/C/compartmentalization.html Trees seal not heal. About trees not requiring our help. When a tree is wounded, trees cannot restore injured tissues in their same spatial position. Trees are generating systems. Animals are regenerating systems. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/G/generating_system.html Trees form new cells in new spatial positions as trees are wounded throughout their lives. Heal means to restore in the same spatial position. Animals are regenerating systems that form new cells, and new cell parts in the previously occupied spatial positions. Healing and when injured, animals speed up their normal regenerating processes, and this is called healing. When trees are injured and infected they chemically strengthen their boundaries that resist spread of infections in wood at time of wounding, - reaction zone -(http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/R/reaction_zone.html ) and then trees form another new anatomical and chemical boundary that separates the infected wood from the new healthy wood that continues to form - barrier zone (http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/B/barrier_zone.html . This defense process in trees is called compartmentalization. CODIT is a model of Compartmentalization (see A New Tree Biology and the many research papers listed in this book that support this concept). http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/C/CODIT.html
Adjustments to targets, is what the trees require. See "Tree Pruning" http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning /
More on generators and regenerators Humans are regenerating systems. Trees are generating systems. Both systems have good and bad points. generating systems do not heal wounds and do not move. Generating systems are subject to the mass energy ratio. As gens get larger in mass, energy needs increase as a parabolic curve. Gens usually live longer than the regens. Regens move to avoid pain and conflicts. Regens are almost entirely all symplast. Gens have a relatively smaller symplast. Humans, regenerating systems. Trees, generating systems. Humans come in groups but try to be individuals in families. Trees come in groups, but very few ever reach maturity and reproduce. In the end, all are recycled for new life as light drives the processes. Think about it.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Out of curiosity, where are you studying Advanced Tree Biology?

It is an educational course on DVD. Not available to the public yet. I anticipate it will be soon. I study where ever I get the chance.
If you are interested Don, let me know and I will place a request for the latter. I am actually working on a table of contents for the program.
Good question.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

I didn't know Disney had put one out.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:30:09 -0500, "symplastless"

We aren't the boss? Who is? Are you saying someone up in the sky makes the earth quake, water flood, fires, storms and volcanic eruptions? That explains a lot I guess.