Care tips for your orchid

"Wound dressings" are no longer recommended, it ( as I always believed) is not needed. Trees heal themselves fine without our "help".

Reply to
Johnny Borborigmi

Please tell me that English is not your native language.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I will work on it throughout my day. However, a very good book that you can get your library to get is

100 Tree Myths by Shigo. It's about myths and half truths. The book is only $14.00.
will be working on others.
Reply to
symplastless

Johnny Borborigmi wrote in news:47916fab$0$24110$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

and planting *too* deeply will kill the tree. while rot may be a major cause of failure, one shouldn't have rot issues if one prunes correctly & doesn't plant too deep.

lee

Reply to
enigma

"Johnny Borborigmi" wrote in message news:47916fab$0$24110$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

Trees heal wounds is another myth. Heal is a animal term often used with plants and trees. Trees compartmentalize wounds.

Healing is regenerating term while trees generate and not regenerate.

seal not heal. About trees not requiring our help. When a tree is wounded, trees cannot restore injured tissues in their same spatial position. Trees are generating systems. Animals are regenerating systems.
form new cells in new spatial positions as trees are wounded throughout their lives. Heal means to restore in the same spatial position. Animals are regenerating systems that form new cells, and new cell parts in the previously occupied spatial positions. Healing and when injured, animals speed up their normal regenerating processes, and this is called healing. When trees are injured and infected they chemically strengthen their boundaries that resist spread of infections in wood at time of wounding, - reaction zone -
and then trees form another new anatomical and chemical boundary that separates the infected wood from the new healthy wood that continues to form - barrier zone
This defense process in trees is called compartmentalization. CODIT is a model of Compartmentalization (see A New Tree Biology and the many research papers listed in this book that support this concept).
to targets, is what the trees require. See "Tree Pruning"
on generators and regenerators Humans are regenerating systems. Trees are generating systems. Both systems have good and bad points. generating systems do not heal wounds and do not move. Generating systems are subject to the mass energy ratio. As gens get larger in mass, energy needs increase as a parabolic curve. Gens usually live longer than the regens. Regens move to avoid pain and conflicts. Regens are almost entirely all symplast. Gens have a relatively smaller symplast. Humans, regenerating systems. Trees, generating systems. Humans come in groups but try to be individuals in families. Trees come in groups, but very few ever reach maturity and reproduce. In the end, all are recycled for new life as light drives the processes. Think about it.

Reply to
symplastless

Sorry to post on top, but your reply is quite lengthy. I didn't see anywhere in your post which tells me anything about how orchids are autotrophs. In fact, you went off into trees again, and mycorrhizae. Yes, trees indeed to depend greatly on the fungal mat, certainly in harsh conditions, but mycorrhizae does not replace the function of root hairs, it makes root hairs more efficient. The drip line of a tree is most important because it's generally where the root hairs are located. Trees indeed to depend on elements, and elements are made available by micro and macro orgnanisms in the soil. I "feed" the soil, not the tree. However, don't mistake my words to mean that trees make their own food, they do not. Soil biota takes plant litter and turns it into a form which gives rise to uptake by root hairs. Fungal mat is something which extends this area beyond the drip line making elements and water through capillary action available to the root hairs. Still, it's the root hairs which are the uptake of a tree, not mycorrhizae.

How does a fungal mat found IN soil do anything for an epiphyte?

Reply to
Jangchub

Look up symplastless in your so called dictionary.

Never trust a so called consulting arboist/tree biologist that has never studied biology.

Reply to
Don Staples

Out of curiosity, where are you studying Advanced Tree Biology?

Reply to
Don Staples

Uh, could you possibly try and explain what your talking about? Where as logging has something to do with cellulose (i.e., that's what is harvested) where did I, or any one else, ever say cellulose (what a forest is) is bad for a forest? You really need to take your meds.

Reply to
Don Staples

It is an educational course on DVD. Not available to the public yet. I anticipate it will be soon. I study where ever I get the chance.

If you are interested Don, let me know and I will place a request for the latter. I am actually working on a table of contents for the program.

Good question.

Reply to
symplastless

DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD I SAY!!!!!!! Believe because you see it for yourself.

A requirement to study and understand tree biology does include tree biology.

Are we supposed to trust Don Staples?

Reply to
symplastless

many projects on the Allegheny National Forest are planned under the false premise that logging helps increase the health of a forest.

It probably would not take long to review your website and find the latter.

Your site here for starters, give me a chance and I will find more examples.

explain what biological benefit logging has for forest health?

Reply to
symplastless

Are they autotrophs or heterotrophs? Please explain. I just know the crowd out native stinkweeds.

I believe you do.

However, don't mistake my words to mean that

Explain what photosynthesis is?

Soil biota takes plant litter

Trees do not uptake carbohydrates or can you feed a tree carbohydrates. It you could you would put the sun out of business.

Without mycorrhizae it would be difficult for many species to uptake phosphates.

I do not understand the question. What is a epiphyte?

Reply to
symplastless

Thanks for the info! Bless you bless you bless you!

Reply to
symplastless

No, you are a freaking nut job.

Reply to
D. Staples

Clip from

"Nature just does not cooperate with the best of management efforts. At that time you may have to salvage whats left."

Don, you do not understand or know how to work with nature. You work against nature. Why would there be a requirement to "salvage" cellulose, or shall I lucidly say, "ROB" the forest, of much required cellulose? And you say you are a forester. Maybe I am a forester.

Reply to
symplastless

Here is my first 21. I am working on it. Please have a little patience. Myths and half truths

Meristematic points are dormant buds Trees heal wounds Trees have root flares at the base of the trunk Trees are a natural renewable resource, keep cutting them and they will come back the way they were Peach trees respond like apple trees internally when pruned. Soil is dirt. All tree species have heartwood. The cambial zone is a single layer of cells. Wood, cellulose mostly, is harmful if left in a once fertile forest. Wood is dead, wood is dead, wood is dead! Thinning out, removing the inner crowns of a tree, makes a tree more wind resistant. Fertilizer is food. Elements are nutrients. Trees absorb nutrients All fungi is bad. Salvaging wood, cellulose mostly, is restoration. Nature just does not cooperate with the best of management efforts. At that time you may have to salvage whats left In forestry, "Usually the sales material is damaged dead, or dying." So logging is required. Wood in a forest - "best to move the material, get it out of the way for future work." Restoration in a forest, can mean a lot of work, depending on what caused the initial damage. How about logging injury? A chain saw is not a scientific tool.

Reply to
symplastless

Orchids are pushing out stinkweeds? What is an epiphyte? Are you kidding me?

Reply to
Jangchub

I eat chips and Battered Fish in the yard cause i live above a chipp so the yard is a messy hole. one of you might want a little project t come and sort the damn thing out if you want?

many thanks (its a bloody mess

-- BrownFingers

Reply to
BrownFingers

When I find the statement about stinkweeds I will let you know. So I looked up epiphyte.

So the Ganoderma tsugae is and epiphyte. But mycorrhizae, which is made up of tree root and fungus tissues is actually part of the plant. It's a composite organ. It does facilitate the taking in of phosphates. A lichen would be a epiphyte.

See I do not have all the answers.

Here is a story on mycorrhizae.

symplastless