Cantaloupes Lacking Sweetness ???

This was my first season growing muskmelons and I decided on Hale's Best. My crop was good averaging five melons per plant BUT in my opinion, the melons could have been a whole lot sweeter. I'm not sure if I chose to grow the right mellon or if there is something I could have done to improve the sweetness of the fruit. Next year I will also grow Honey Rock and Super Star which is a hybrid. Any advice or ideas on growing good sweet muskmelons? My soil was well fertilized and amended with compost. Used soaker hoses and gave plants 1 1/2" of water weekly.

Rich from PA Zone 5-6

Reply to
EVP MAN

Sounds like you took good care of them, maybe your varieties aren't that sweet. I've had good luck with Ambrosia, Crenshaws and Minnesota Midget.

Reply to
Amos Nomore