canna seeds

Has anyone started canna plants from seeds? I've seen them on ebay for sale. This spring I received some bulbs for cannas and now those plants have seeds. I was thinking about starting some. If you started them from seed let me know how you made out.

Reply to
Miles Long

The only cannas I've had that have set seeds are the "wild" (smallish flowers, very tall stalks) ones that grow all over New Orleans. There also is an orange and a yellow variety. None of the fancy ones I have with seed pods have produced seeds--I've been told that due to an unusually wet year any canna that is the slightest bit finicky has had its seeds refuse to develop.

zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

I don't think it would be worth starting cannas from seed. The rhizomes generally multiply like rabbits. If you are in zone 6 or below, you should dig the rhizomes after the frost gets the foliage and store them in a cool place (above 45F). No doubt when you dig the rhizomes you will have two or three times more than you planted. After a couple of year you will be begging people to take some. There are usually people here who are willing to trade rhizomes if you want different varieties. You can also buy more at a reasonable price from

Vox Humana