Canna Seeds

So, I'm walking past some cannas today at the hotel where I'm staying in Long Island, and 5 canna seed pods jumped right into my hand. Really. They did. The seeds rattle around in the pods, so I'm guessing they're ready to dry out, be removed, and be planted in the spring. Anyone know if there are any special tricks necessary with these particular seeds?

are
Cannas are so cheap and so prolific that I can't see bothering with seed. If you lived close I could give you a box or two. I have been outside a few hours here and there digging the rhizomes. They multiply like rabbits.