Can you tell me what this plant is????

Hi all,

I have just found this growing in my garden,

Can anybody tell me what it is???

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: plant.jpg | |Download:
tanzadog

Hi all,

I have just found this growing in my garden,

Can anybody tell me what it is???

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: plant.jpg | |Download:
|+-------------------------------------------------------------------+Verbascum thapsis, looks like.
Reply to
Nelly

It's a Mullein ( Verbascum thapsus ) a biennial which seeds itself freely and pops up all over the place.

The flower stems quickly shoot up to 6ft and will persist as seed heads over winter

sambucus

Edible Uses                                           Edible Parts: Tea.

An aromatic, slightly bitter tea can be made by infusing the dried leaves in boiling water for 5 - 10 minutes[183]. A sweeter tea can be made by infusing the fresh or dried flowers[183].

Medicinal Uses

Plants For A Future can not take any responsibility for any adverse effects from the use of plants. Always seek advice from a professional before using a plant medicinally.

Anodyne;  Antiseptic;  Astringent;  Demulcent;  Emollient;  Expectorant;   Homeopathy;  Narcotic;  Odontalgic;  Vulnerary.

Great mullein is a commonly used domestic herbal remedy, valued for its efficacy in the treatment of pectoral complaints[4]. It acts by reducing the formation of mucus and stimulating the coughing up of phlegm, and is a specific treatment for tracheitis and bronchitis[254]. The leaves and the flowers are anodyne, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent, demulcent, diuretic, emollient, expectorant and vulnerary[4,

7, 13, 21, 46, 53, 165, 222]. An infusion is taken internally in the treatment of a wide range of chest complaints and also to treat diarrhoea[4, 238]. (cont.)
Reply to
Billy