Can you name this worm?

I have some nematode/leach/worm looking things crawling in my soil that I would very much like to blame for the fact that very few of my seeds or seedlings (with the exception of tomatoes) are taking in my garden. They either don't sprout (i.e. there is never a seedling popping out) or they wilt and wither if purchased in pots and planted. If it makes any difference, my little plot (not much larger than the size standard I used in the pictures, really) is facing W with full exposure in Southern California.
Images of one of the larger ones I have found are at http://gallery.grajagan.org/v/public/thing/ . His buddies are generally half the size, so about 1/4 inch. Their tops are black, their undersides are greyish and their movements remind me of leaches. I found a couple (including the one in the photos) rearing their heads like cobras while crawling around on top of the soil. I have also found them eating strawberry fruits.
Any pointers would be very much appreciated. If anyone knows how to treat these organically, that would be great too!
thanks in advance, h.
Can't really tell by your photos, but if it has legs along it's entire length, I'd guess it's a millipede: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/relatives/millipedes/millipede.htm If so, it's a good guy!
Suzy O, zone 5, Wisconsin

wouldn't call it worm if it had legs ;) the website pics can be enlarged, maybe that would help? Thanks for your comments though! Much appreciated.
h.