Can you identify this?

Our neighbors operate a Greenhouse and they've never seen anything like this. A whole cluster just popped up in our woodland garden amongst the woodchips. It must be some kind of mushroom, the brownish ends look like poop and wipes off easy, but the stalk is hollow and has a peculiar odor like cleaning solution or a chemical, not nasty but not pleasant either. Here's a picture.... http://members.tripod.com/tedgriffin/garden.html
--
Griff - Whose clear conscience is undoubtedly the sign of failing memory.

stinkhorn http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/elegant_stinkhorn.htm

I'm sure the poster is right, it is stinkhorn, mutinis caninus. Yours is some kind of spinoff from that with the white patches/circles.
http://www.backyardnature.net/fungclub.htm
I had the other kind pop up one year, nasty smelling and appropriately named phallus impudicus. I have to copy and paste the Latin names as I was never much good at remembering (or caring) what they were. The ones on this page are smaller than mine was, maybe they aren't fully developed yet. Mine was about the size of yours, several inches in height.
http://schmidling.com/fungus.htm
I was repulsed by mine and glad so far I've never had another one. But you never know about some things. Could have the secret of a cure for something.