Can this tree be straightened?

I have a red oak tree that has grown up leaning, and lopsided, due to competition from a nearby tree. The nearby tree has now been removed. I expect the lopsidedness to go away on its own, but can I correct the trunk lean through staking? How long would it take? The tree is about

12 years old and about 20 feet tall, about 5" caliper. I'm pretty sure its flexible enough to pull over, but will the new orientation "take" ? Any info or references appreciated.

-- Heathcliff

Reply to
Heathcliff

I'm sure you could pull it over to make it straight. You might need a sturdy cable and a winch of some sort to pull it over. I have corrected smaller trees and it seems to take a couple of years before it stays where you want it. I think it has to make a couple of layers of new wood to get it to hold the new position. If you can pull it over so that it flexes the other way, it may end up in good position after one growing season. Let the pressure off once in a while to check the progress.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

g'day heathcliff,

as they say nothing is impossible hey? just is it probable?

you would need a very strong anchor point on the opposite side of the lean and then a block and tackle so you can keep adding pressure to maybe make the tree come back straight. the top will of course now grow straight now that the other tree has gone. doing this with younger trees is a whole lot more doable.

if it where me i'd write this one off and relegate it to mulch or the fire place and plant another.

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen