can't read articles older than about 9 days - help!

I'm using a news server called aioe.org, and for some reason I can't read anything that is more than about 9 days old.

I realize that this isn't directly garden related, but it really affects my ability to read older gardening usenet articles in here.

Can anyone suggest another free usenet server that doesn't seem to get rid of messages until they are at least two weeks old? Sometimes I don't get on here all that often, so I'd like to be able to read articles several weeks back.

I'm using outlook express as my news reader, so if there is some setting in there that might affect this, please tell me!

Thanks

Reply to
OhioGuy

Goggle Groups.

William Wagner

Click Tools, then Options, and check the various tabs. See if you can spot the appropriate option. Exploring is a good way to learn. If you don't find the right thing, come back & tell us.

It's always possible that your news server discards messages older than 9 days, but that's pretty short.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The message

from William Wagner contains these words:

their entirety, and its very cumbersome and littered with spam trash. It's not a newsreader, which is what he wants

Good newsreaders provide a wide range of (automated) choices about how ngs are presented, (or eliminated) how long they are retained etc. Mine is zimacs, a free service from the isp I subscribe to (zetnet)

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

My provider is Snip.net which provides access to Usenet. But I perfer Supernews a paid subscription for 31734 + Groups. I use MT-Newswatcher which is Donation Ware this on a Mac.

Bill who thought the OP wanted to read some older posts. I do not know what Outlook Express does. I thought it was Mail.

Reply to
William Wagner

I read all my newsgroups on Outlook Express.........I have it set to save messages for 90 days and you can also do a search from present back 5 years, this also depends on your settings and ISP's news server. on your OE window got to Tools Accounts.......click the news tab make sure it says news.'yourisp'.com, OK back to Tools.....click 'newsgroups' on the drop down menu and chose what you want to subscribe to.

It all depends on who your ISP uses for their news server and what their settings are so why don't you just call their tech support and they'll help you make sure all your settings are correct. Depending on ISP, newserver and connections, your mileage may vary.

Val

Reply to
Val

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:47:53 -0500 in , "OhioGuy" graced the world with this thought:

If you're geting a message that says "no longer available," it's likely that it's been wiped from the server for some reason. You might contact them and ask how long the messages are retained.

Reply to
bizbee

Your email program may be set to delete the files 9 days old. What email program are you using? Check the settings. That will be $25

Reply to
Jack