Can someone identify this plant?

It was found growing amongst trees and rocks in North Wales - does anyone know what it might be?

Thank you

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: photo (1).JPG | |Download:
arniecars

Hi, from your picture, I'd say it was an ash seedling (Fraxinus excelsior)

Lannerman.

lannerman

Hi arnicars, the fact that its only been planted for about 8 months will mean it will move easily again. You have 2 options, one is to leave it a month and then lift it and pot it, or just to be 100% sure, root prune it now and then lift it about mid-March and pot it (i would be advising the latter if it had been in the ground for longer) Ok, this is how you do it - take a good strong garden spade and sharpen the blade either with a file or grinder. Cut around the base of the plant, about 1ft out from the trunk. Its very important that as your cutting around the plant you DO NOT lever until you have cut all the way around !!! (this will ensure that you dont 'break' the root ball) when you have cut all the way around (with the blade of the spade near enough vertical) gently start to prise out the plant and it should just 'pop' out easily BUT keep this rootball intact. then pot it up in a suitably large pot and water well. You may find it easier, depending on the width of the foliage to gently tie in the lower branches whilst your lifting it to give you a bit more room ! Finally, as your not moving for a while, if we get a dry spring, make sure you water well.

regards, Lannerman.

Reply to
lannerman

The one with the divided leaves might indeed be some kind of Fraxinus.

However, you actually have two different seedlings there. The one in front with the notched leaves reminds me of the birch seedlings I still keep removing from my hill, despite the fact that the parent birch was removed about 5 years ago.

Reply to
David E. Ross