Can someone identify this feces for me please?

http://www.animaux.net/squirrel /
This is directly under the bird feeder, and only sunflower seeds are in the feeders. We do have squirrels who are on the feeders constantly and we don't chase them out. Is this squirrel feces? Gauge the size based on the black oil sunflower seeds.

I'm going to suggest this is the scat of a grouse or ptarmigan.
Karen
opined:

i know it's neither of those
escapee wrote:

those are monk turds, probably from a species known as dalai lamas. am surprised that you did not recognize them.
looks like its got quite a high roughage content. Deer eating out of the feeder?
http://users.rcn.com/jmagerl/deer.jpg

No, definitely not deer. I don't know that I have grouse, either. The search goes on.

nope, is not deer.
opined:

?
There's also a Kerry joke whose punch line is : How can I trust you if you don't know shit? Frank
opined:

Nice to see the group is still as mature as ever.
Forgive him, he works from home and is PW ed!
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 01:37:11 GMT, escapee

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel. -- Aldo Leopold
x-archive:no
Look like owls droppings...
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:03:01 GMT, escapee

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:03:01 GMT, escapee
:) http://www.animaux.net/squirrel / :) :) This is directly under the bird feeder, and only sunflower seeds are in the :) feeders. We do have squirrels who are on the feeders constantly and we don't :) chase them out. Is this squirrel feces? Gauge the size based on the black oil :) sunflower seeds.
If possible post a pic that isn't a close up...kangaroo rat droppings are described as extremely dry. All the rodent droppings I come across, even squirrels, are usually black, but I haven't been able to locate a pic of a kangaroo rat...... You might take some flour and at sundown sift it around the ground and you might get some foot prints that can aid in identification of what it is.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
While looking in the mirror a bit ago, I noticed that I look more like myself now than I did a while back.

I would have guessed snake, but maybe squirrel, possum or raccoon. Assuming you have to climb or fly to get to the feeder, I don't think it's a bird because I don't think birds (having cloacae instead of intestines) can excrete the fibrous portions of the shell (must regurgitate if ingested ... probably didn't ingest). If they could I would expect it to be watery. If it were a larger bird using gizard stones to masticate the shells, I would expect the fibers to be less intact.
Kind of odd to be right under the feeder. Looking the the bottom pictures, unless it rained or something the suspect seems to just be hanging out at the feeder, seeds go in crap comes out. Or maybe some unreleated creature saw the pile of shells and decided it was a good place to take a dump?
How to identify crap: http://memorias.ioc.fiocruz.br/98sup/30p.pdf

You are mistaken about bird digestive physiology. Birds do have intestines. The cloaca is a multi-purpose structure at the end of the intestinal tract. Anyway, the ground dwelling birds of the family Phasianidae eat a fibrous diet including seeds and nuts, and their droppings look very much like those in the photos. The Phasianidae family includes grouse, ptarmigan, bobwhite, quail, chukar, partridge, pheasant and wild turkey. Check these photos of grouse and ptarmigan scat.... http://waynesword.palomar.edu/scat.htm Another photo of grouse scat ... http://www.ontariowildflower.com/wildlife_scat.htm#grouse
Squirrel and rabbit droppings are rounder and more pellet-like.

okay ... all I remembered was (some) birds have a cloaca and crap like seagulls. (I assumed most of the flying ones would.)

who would have thought I'd be sitting here taking an interest at looking at pictures of crap. To me the shape looks more like E, F, O or P.
At least there is no smell.
opined:

What we have does look a lot like grouse scat. We definitely have an opossum at night. It's a rather large one and we believe it lives on one of our brush piles. However, I doubt this is the scat of an opossum. I am going to set up a video camera today. This is baffling to me!
Victoria

Have you Tried smoking it?

Yes, I smoked it all in a Tibetan ceremony. I got nothing.