Can I Trim over grown Tree in winter 1/3? Soft pine needles

I have two trees that have soft needles, but not sure what it is called. Not sure how old they are, but they are taller then our house. I would like to trim them by 1/3 but not sure if that is too much. It a very mild winter (above freezing). Should I Waite until it gets colder or cut now. And how much can I cut? thanks.

Most likely a white pine. There's nothing wrong with a tree that is taller than your house. Read the following: http://www.plantamnesty.org/stoptopping/window_conifertopping.htm
-al sung Hopkinton, MA Zone 6a

First, you'd better find out for sure what kind they are. Then explain HOW you want to trim them. If you want to remove a few limbs from the bottom to let more light in, that's one thing, and it's OK to do in winter. But, you NEVER EVER trim the tops of pine trees. They will never regain their shape. Our electric company contracts with some so-called "tree experts", who once hacked the tops off some pines on a friend's property because they seemed too close to the power lines. (They were not). The tree service's insurance company paid dearly for this in court.
Don't do it.