Can I start a tree from a leave, how?

Hello,

I was told that I could start a tree from a leaf by cutting the stem at an angle,putting it in soil (mostly vermiculite) and keeping it moist.

I tried about 15 leaves like this and they are all almost dead now.

Does anyone know how to start a tree from a leaf?

Or how else could I start it from an existing tree (not grafting)?

Thanks

Roger

Reply to
Roger Zimmerman

You need cells that are capable of growth and division, called "meristem cells" -- these are not present in mature leaves.

A few methods of vegetative propagation you can try with trees: stem cuttings stooling air layering

Age of the wood you're using, how the wood is treated, and season all make a big difference with these techniques, as does the species.

What species are you trying to propagate? Or is this more of a theoretical question?

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Hi Kay,

Thanks for you ideas.

Right now I am trying to start Swedish Columnar Aspens. If successful, I want to try it on other trees, my next try would be on an old Colerado Blue Spruce, then on Poplar.

This is not theoretical, I am trying to get a lot of new tress started for putting on a vacant property I am buying out at the lake.

Thanks

Roger

Kay Lancaster wrote:

Reply to
Roger Zimmerman

Kay,

I looked up the methods you mentioned, but the problem is I am going to a public area to get the leaves to start new trees, so I don't have the options you mentioned. I am comfortable taking off a few leaves, but not taking any cuttings, or doing air layering.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Roger

Roger Zimmerman wrote:

Reply to
Roger Zimmerman

Kay,

I looked up the methods you mentioned, but the problem is I am going to a public area to get the leaves to start new trees, so I don't have the options you mentioned. I am comfortable taking off a few leaves, but not taking any cuttings, or doing air layering.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Roger

Roger Zimmerman wrote:

Reply to
Roger Zimmerman

I don't know what state you live in, but here there are many, many organizations that will give you seedlings for such a purpose.

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

In message , Roger Zimmerman writes

Only a few plants (mostly succulents) can be propagated from leaf cuttings.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Yan,

I live in Alberta, Canada, I didn't know they would give away free seedlings for these plants, especially the Columnar Aspen, but will check around to see if I can find where to get them.

Thanks

Roger

CptD> > Kay,

Reply to
Roger Zimmerman

Roger:

I can't speak for Canada, but here in the US there are state and federal gov't agencies that will provide seedlings for restoration. It's been a while since I've used them, and ISTR that you had to hit them at the right time of year, but they had seedlings available. The range (both size and species) was limited, though.

Some universities also have agricultural extensions that may be able to help.

Lastly, don't overlook private industry; companies that do a lot of logging like paper and lumber will also have reforestation programs and may donate to a restoration project. It's all in how you present it.

Some sources were free and some charged a bit. Even if you had to buy the seedlings the cost was minimal; something like $0.35 ea or something like that....

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

"Roger Zimmerman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I believe the gov't nursery at Oliver used to have such a program. Don't know if the nursery even exists now - I couldn't find any reference to it. The three obvious options: 1. buy the trees 2. poach seedlings from nearby crown land 3. collect seeds and grow them.

Which lake?

/AF

Reply to
Alfred Falk

So why not buy seedlings of the desired species for reforestation? You really don't want genetic uniformity in mass plantings, anyhow. (and the mix of species does not sound suitable for lakefront to me). You're right, poaching germplasm without permission is Not a Good Thing.

Most states have an extension forester... I'd start with them.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

It's a cool thing to learn, but if you want trees in your lifetime, you're probably better off getting them from a reliable, inexpensive source:

If you only see big trees that cost a lot on the web site, pick up the phone and call them. Read that again.

Their catalog used to include very small saplings sold in quantities like dozens, very cheap.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

All,

The lake is Columbia Lake, BC, Canada, in Canal Flats. I guess what I am hearing is starting plants from a leaf doesn't work. I'll try some other option.

Thanks for all the ideas

Roger

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Reply to
Roger Zimmerman

Where the leaf attaches to a branch is a bud. This bud can be used to start a new tree by tissue culture.

Any branch can be used to start a new tree by rooting either soft wood cuttings or hard wood cuttings.

The most natural method is to collect seeds. Most trees produce them. In fact there are usually seedlings coming up under trees.

Reply to
Stephen Henning