Can i cut the new grass

Hi,i re-seeded part of my lawn,the grass has come up really great,my question,can i mow the top few inches off? it's about 5 to 6 inches tall where i re-seeded.
Thanks for any help.
By the way im in Wash State if that helps.
On 24 Sep 2006 14:31:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Immediately, and bag it because with the damp dew in the morning it can rot on the lawn. Never wait so long that it will remove more than two inches of the blade during any mowing.

WRONG. Never remove more than a third. Mulching is the best.

USDA Zone 8
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:23:37 GMT, "Travis M."

What's wrong? Newly seeded grass is very moist and tender and if left on the surface in cool fall temps can fester diseases. The OP said the grass was now 5-6 inches tall. And yes, also never remove more than a third of the blade and after the turf is established only use a mulching mower. I only use a mulching, rechargeable electric mower.

It doesn't mater what season it is. Cut one third off with a mulching mower.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:38:08 GMT, "Travis M."

Ya, okay, got the point. My point is that newly planted grass is far too soft, tender, delicate, etc. and will gunk up and lay on top of the lawn. It will not mulch down because it has too much moisture in it.

What makes you think newly planted grass blades have more moisture in them than established grass blades?

USDA Zone 8
Travis M. wrote:

Thank you for the help you gave me.
I cut the top 3 inches off and it looks great,it's very thick and green,just wish the rest of my lawns looked so good.lol
Thanks again.
Von.

On 26 Sep 2006 22:59:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

You can reseed your entire lawn now, if you want it all to look fresh and green. This is the best time to plant grass seed provided you live north of Baltimore. South of that would be October as the ideal time to reseed.
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:13:23 GMT, "Travis M."

I don't think it, I know it. Newly germinated turf is very tender, particularly if it is a fescue or rye grass. The first mow is very important for the establishment of the lawn. If you mow it too short or long it can rot away in those sections. Do your own experiment if you want. Plant some seed and tell me if the new grass is as firm and dry as the established turf.