Can citrus leafminers be controlled?

I live in Southern California. During the last two years, my mandarin orange trees have developed curled leaves, reduced fruiting and severe loss of leaves. They used to be lush and loaded with Satsuma Oranges. Now they are like ghost trees.

I showed a diseased twig to my local nursery man. He says that they are infected with leafminers.

Does anyone know how to deal with these bugs? Apparently they eat the center-section of the leaf and are therefore impervious to things like malathion.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Walter R.