Can anyone reccomend landscape design software?

I have a pretty blank slate with some carefully positioned trees (only 12 to 15 feet right now). If it were acceptable to post images in here I would show a picture.
Well, I have many photos of the property and would like to superimpose images of plantings to help me visualize. I have been surfing for some good designing software but the one I most liked cost upward of 200 dollars (US). I am only doing my house, I am not a professional by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know if I should keep looking or just do the design out of my mind or keep looking for an affordable tool to help me out.
Anyone familiar with any good photo based design software that they might reccomend to me that won't break the bank?
Thanks,
Mr. Bill

Post your pictures to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.
When people have asked about design software in the past the predominant recommendation was to save your money.

USDA Zone 8

Thanks Travis.
Mr. Bill
GIMP at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-win is FREE software. It provides plenty of gadgets and gizmos in it. While it's not too easy to use, what it lacks in ease of use it seems to make up for in other ways. It's a paint and photo editing package and provides ways to draw lines and connect photos, create fades and such.
It offers the following features which make it competetive with commercial software of all types...
1) Layering 2) Animation 3) Color contrast, brightness, blending, fading, and more 4) Text insertion
If you're good with artwork, and you have some patience, the package is great. I only have one complaint so far involving the ability to grab and drag objects. I know it's there, but I just don't see the hand with a set of fingers in the Tool box and that throws me for loops. Oh, one more complaint, it requires two downloads, both of which are available at the link above, free of charge. It requires GTK (whatever that is and does, I don't know, but it installs certain DLLs into the %commonfiles% folder. And that needs installing first, then the GIMP package gets installed.
Hope this helps.
Jim Carlock Post replies to the newsgroup.

Thanks Jim. I may give it a try later today.
Mr. Bill
you can try Homeze.com -
On 21-Jan-2006, snipped-for-privacy@landscapeople.com wrote:

Well, I guess I could if I was invited. The page says registration by invitation only. I am not a beta tester and it looks like that is what you are looking for. Thanks anyway Ian.
Mr. Bill
Mr Bill
Yes, I can send you the login/registration info, this is a "work in progress" so I am desparatly seeking +/- feedback,
contact me a ianDDDlandscapeople.com DDD=@
~ian
You can try Homeze.com - design onto a photo
~ia
-- iancc