Can anyone identify this?

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could identify a plant for me. You can se it at the following link:
http://tinyurl.com/p33o4
It was seen in a perennial bed on the coast of Maine (zone 5, I think yesterday. It looks tropical, but wasn't in a container, so must b pretty hardy.
Thanks
-- Daisy
On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:53:34 +0100, Daisy

Morning glory or bindweed or maybe jimson weed
Daisy wrote:

Definitely a Datura (Jimson weed, thornapple, devil trumpet, loco weed,etc.) Probably either D. inoxia or D.stramonium . Not sure. Highly toxic, do not eat/rub your eyes etc. after handling. Folks have died from trying to get high/hallucinate from the seeds/whatever. A kid in germany cut off his own tongue and penis while using a tea from a datura or related brugmansia IIRC. The flowers last only about a day, opening at night to be pollinated by a large moth. There are several cultivated varieties - some purple, double purple, yellow, etc. Does well in sun/heat.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

here's one of mine; http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid &87365
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

I can tell one thing, yours while having the same flower, has leaves that are not the same as the ones I grow out here.

In Garden Online Gift Shop
Out here in the High Mojave Desert it grows wild, but I have found out that Gophers will NOT eat it's roots, so I'm planing on making a barrier of it around my garden! That will be an awesome project too.

In Garden Online Gift Shop

Datura innoxia
see http://www.giftpflanzen.com/datura_innoxia.html
--
************ das GIFTPFLANZEN.COMpendium ************
***** weit ber 500 Pflanzenportraits *****

I can't see leaf well, but looks like Datura stramonium, extremelly poisonous. In the past used for poisoning someone who is "pissing upstream of Your creek". Many people died of using it during somekind rituals. The flower smells seductive.. The seed is used for that, and also used in official farmacolgy to make some medicaments. Poison in small doses is a cure.

Not enough clues here to be sure (what size was the flower; what did the leaves look like?) but at this point I'd say it was probably a morning glory.
On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:53:34 +0100, Daisy

Datura inoxia. D. stramonium has a deeper cut leaf and the flower is not as circular at the edge. I collect Datura and have seeds for D.wrightii, D. inoxia, D.metel and others. The D.wrightii are huge flowers and can be as large as 5 feet tall and ten feet wide. We counted blooms on three plants the other night and it was well over a hundred.
Many thanks to all who replied. It's definitely Datura inoxia. :
-- Daisy
On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 08:58:39 +0100, Daisy

This plant species is in the nightshade family with tomatoes, eggplants, and potatoes. AKA the Solanacea family of plants. All parts of this particular plant can potentially kill a human, but so can the foliage of a tomato plant. Seeds of datura can cause hallucenations, which is why kids eat the seeds and usually take too many and have been showing up dead. In New Jersey, several years ago there were ten teens who died from eating the seeds. They can also cause psychotic breaks.
MANY plants will do this.

^^^^^^
Oh, I am looking for seed of D. ferox. Can you tell me a source?
--
Benno Bs wrote:

http://davesgarden.com/ps/go/48973 /
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:03:41 +0200, Benno Bs

That is one I don't have, but you are welcome to the D. wrightii, which get flowers almost a foot tall and six inches wide all summer into the late fall.
WOW! 100 blooms!!! I'd love to see that (heck have it too).

In Garden Online Gift Shop