Can anyone identify this?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could identify a plant for me. You can se it at the following link:

was seen in a perennial bed on the coast of Maine (zone 5, I think yesterday. It looks tropical, but wasn't in a container, so must b pretty hardy.

Thanks

-- Daisy

Reply to
Daisy

Morning glory or bindweed or maybe jimson weed

Reply to
Charles

Definitely a Datura (Jimson weed, thornapple, devil trumpet, loco weed,etc.) Probably either D. inoxia or D.stramonium . Not sure. Highly toxic, do not eat/rub your eyes etc. after handling. Folks have died from trying to get high/hallucinate from the seeds/whatever. A kid in germany cut off his own tongue and penis while using a tea from a datura or related brugmansia IIRC. The flowers last only about a day, opening at night to be pollinated by a large moth. There are several cultivated varieties - some purple, double purple, yellow, etc. Does well in sun/heat.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Daisy schrieb:

Datura innoxia

see

Benno Bös

I can't see leaf well, but looks like Datura stramonium, extremelly poisonous. In the past used for poisoning someone who is "pissing upstream of Your creek". Many people died of using it during somekind rituals. The flower smells seductive.. The seed is used for that, and also used in official farmacolgy to make some medicaments. Poison in small doses is a cure.

Reply to
Powerless Agronomist

here's one of mine;

Carl 1 Lucky Texan

leaves look like?) but at this point I'd say it was probably a morning glory.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Datura inoxia. D. stramonium has a deeper cut leaf and the flower is not as circular at the edge. I collect Datura and have seeds for D.wrightii, D. inoxia, D.metel and others. The D.wrightii are huge flowers and can be as large as 5 feet tall and ten feet wide. We counted blooms on three plants the other night and it was well over a hundred.

Reply to
Jangchub

Many thanks to all who replied. It's definitely Datura inoxia. :

-- Daisy

Reply to
Daisy

This plant species is in the nightshade family with tomatoes, eggplants, and potatoes. AKA the Solanacea family of plants. All parts of this particular plant can potentially kill a human, but so can the foliage of a tomato plant. Seeds of datura can cause hallucenations, which is why kids eat the seeds and usually take too many and have been showing up dead. In New Jersey, several years ago there were ten teens who died from eating the seeds. They can also cause psychotic breaks.

MANY plants will do this.

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub schrieb:

^^^^^^

Oh, I am looking for seed of D. ferox. Can you tell me a source?

Reply to
Benno Bös

Carl 1 Lucky Texan

That is one I don't have, but you are welcome to the D. wrightii, which get flowers almost a foot tall and six inches wide all summer into the late fall.

Reply to
Jangchub

Out here in the High Mojave Desert it grows wild, but I have found out that Gophers will NOT eat it's roots, so I'm planing on making a barrier of it around my garden! That will be an awesome project too.

Reply to
Starlord

I can tell one thing, yours while having the same flower, has leaves that are not the same as the ones I grow out here.

Reply to
Starlord

WOW! 100 blooms!!! I'd love to see that (heck have it too).

Reply to
Starlord