Camillas buds

My Camilla buds have turned brown and do not bloom. This Camilla was beautiful when we bought it. I planted in a sun/shade area and the buds turned brown. Last fall we moved it to a sunny location and the same is happening. it gets plenty of water and feed. Any ideas? ........Windy

Reply to
windy

The native habitat of Camellia japonica is in the southern foothills of the Himalayas, where prevailing winds push moist air up the mountains to form constant clouds with a never-ending drizzle. The soil there is decomposed granite with great drainage. The few nutrients in the soil have mostly leached away. Thus, you need to plant C. japonica in the shade. They need fast-draining soil that is always moist but never really wet. They should be fed very lightly in the spring, with a mild, slow-acting fertilizer. If yours is this classic camellia, YOU ARE KILLING IT with kindness (too much sun, too much water, too much fertilizer)!

Camellia sasanqua can take some sun but should have at least part shade. It too needs only light feeding and well-draining soil that is moist but not wet.

Reply to
David E. Ross

We just moved it from the dappled shade last autumn where the buds browned and fell off. Now I put it into a more sunny place and the same thing is happening. It is a Camellia japonica... and we live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mts. in central California;

my growing numbers are from 7-9. Even if they are planted in the wrong place, could someone please tell me what causes the buds to turn brown and fall off?

Reply to
windy

Camellia buds will die without opening from too little or too much water (both of which damage roots), irregular watering (soil alternating between too wet and too dry), humidity too low, too much sun, feeding too late in the season (should be fed only in the spring, after blooming), or soil or water containing too many salts. The buds will also die in freezing weather, which happened to three of my four camellias in January, just as they were getting ready to bloom.

Regarding feeding, this is one case where a specialized fertilizer -- camellia, azalea, and rhododendron food -- is appropriate. While I generally use an off-brand lawn food in my flower and shrub beds, it's too strong for my camellias and azaleas. (I don't have "rhodies".) The specialized camellia, azalea, and rhododendron food is not only mild; but it's also acidic, which camelias really need. I would be feeding mine now. However, the one that did not lose its flower buds in the Great Freeze of '07 is blooming right now; so I'll have to wait a few weeks.

Reply to
David E. Ross

One place to look:

Bill