callistemon "bottlebrush" advice

can anyone give me litle advice please, i own a callistemon "bottlebrush" plant. its the one with the red flowers. i was wondering when do i dead head the old flowers and whereabouts do i cut on the stem. i don't want to damage the plant. hope someone can help.
cheers.
--
fuzzywuzzy

On 7/20/2008 2:39 PM, fuzzywuzzy wrote:

This plant does not need to be deadheaded. If you leave the flowers, they form an interesting band of seed capsules.
If you wish to trim the plant because it's too big or because branches are crossing, I think you can cut into bare wood.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Yep, if need be, you can be really savage with callistemons. This site may help: http://www.anbg.gov.au/callistemon/index.html

But...but...If you leave the seed on, won't the plant think it has done its duty and now can die? Straight question.

In article
Wassup? We haven't even gotten to the Autumn equinox and, you've already slipped into your Fall persona. Anything to do with global warming?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

It is not an annual- its normal life cycle is to flower and produce seed every year, then grow another season and do it all over again. Apple trees don't die after they produce apples- same thing.
--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky
On 7/30/2008 3:40 PM, Buderschnookie wrote:

Ooooo! You stole my answer. :)
If the plant is not trimmed at all, you will see new flowers (the "brush") several inches above a ring of last year's seed capsules. You might even see several such rings of capsules from successive years. However, they do eventually fall off. Also, you might want to trim it back before you get that result.
Note: If the bottle brush is in the genus Melaleuca and you are in or near a tropical climate, the seeds will sprout when they fall to the ground. In parts of Florida, Melaleuca is considered an invasive pest; in California, this doesn't seem to be a problem. If the bottle brush is in the genus Callistemon, don't worry; it behaves.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Not this one