Calla lily revival

Last Mother's Day, my 4 y.o. son's preschool had them all plant a calla lily for their moms which, amazingly, were timed perfectly to bloom right on Mother's day. Well, mine did anyway. I was very impressed and it was really nice.
However... I have a black thumb and I have seriously neglected the plant since then. I really want to transplant it (it's in a rather small pot) and help it thrive - especially given it's origin, I would hate to let it die. I live in FL so I guess it could be an outside plant but I was thinking of transplanting it and making it a houseplant. I just really don't know what I need to do though.
Now, I do know they are supposed to have a dormant period. So I thought maybe I should just clip off the leaves (that are mostly dead and brown anyway) and put it in the dark for awhile then bring it out and find a good spot for it to live. I was rather hoping someone here could give me more specifics on how to bring this thing back (or if it's hopeless) and also what sort of spot I should be finding for it. Also, would I transplant it to a bigger pot before letting it be dormant or after? How long should it be dormant etc. I just really have no clue. Thanks a bunch (in advance) for any input you may have.
Rose

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topi c;f&;t0221;p=0
If you Google your question(s) you will get hundreds of sites you can explore. HTH